Here is a list of some of the major culprits of a stiff neck. Avoid these and you can avoid having the dreaded stiff neck.
- Not using a supportive pillow for your head and neck while sleeping. A flat pillow gives no support to the head and neck
- Working on the computer all day with out taking breaks and having a bad posture while you are on the computer
- Talking on the telephone all day at work with your head laterally bent to one side
- Sleeping in an awkward position while sleeping can cause muscle spasm and muscle strain.
- Meningitis: Although rare, if you stiff neck that is accompanied by a headache and a fever, there's a chance you may have meningitis. The pain tends to be quite severe with meningitis.
- Whiplash from a car accident or trauma in the neck can cause a stiff neck. Not being able to move your head and neck in the proper range of motion stiffens your neck muscles
- Using too many neck pillows at night. Using too many pillows under your neck can cause your neck to be put into a forward head posture, which puts more pressure on the back of the neck.
- Falling asleep on the couch or wherever- Not sleeping with a good ergonomic pillow can put your head and neck into an awkward position.
- Reading with your head bent in towards your chest for a prolonged period to time
- Stress- it does the body no good? Many people carry much of their stress in the upper back and neck.
- A Cold, Sinus Cold, Virus or Flu Like Symptoms tend to run your whole system down and unfortunately your neck can be affected. When neck pain is caused by flu, the neck and the rest of the body tend to ache all over, but there is no severe neck stiffness.
Additional Reading Resources:
Indians’ Cliff Lee May be Sidelined due to Stiff Neck
The Importance of using a Good Neck Pillow for Sleeping to Prevent Stiff Neck
How to Reduce the Chances ofGetting a Stiff Neck
Visit Arc4life.com for your online selection of cervical support neck pillows, orthopedic pain relief products and Home traction units. Products for pain relief.
Bookmark this on Delicious