Today's post is by Dr. Matt Bellinger, a Chiropractor in Glastonbury CT. He discusses the top 10 reasons why people get neck pain and how to find relief.
Here is a list of the top 10 most common causes of neck pain and how to fix them so you can get rid of your neck pain once and for all:
- Misalignments in the spine - This is number #1 reason for neck pain because it puts pressure on nerves which can cause muscle tension and more. I recommend seeing a good Chiropractor; first he/she can tell you if this is in fact your problem, then he/she can help correct it. Postural exercises, neck traction and a good neck pillow will also help correct the problem.
- Poor Posture - Posture is a window to your spine and if you have poor posture that is what your spine looks like and inside - misaligned ! Look at yourself in the mirror or have someone else look at you from the front and the side. From the front your spine should be straight, shoulders even and hips even. From the side your spine should have smooth flowing curves, ear even with your shoulder and shoulder even with your hip socket.
- Bad sleeping habits - Sleeping on your stomach is the worst because you have to turn your head ninety degrees to the side to breathe. Sleeping with a pillow too thick or thin can be a major problem also. Get a good neck pillow to sleep with. Read #4 for our pillow recommendation.
- Not using a good pillow - A proper neck pillow is the best like the Cervical Traction Neck Pillow - it keeps the proper neck posture when sleeping on your back or side.
- Muscle strain and tension - Makes it difficult to move and creates inflammation, putting pressure on nerves causing pain. Try to perform neck stretches to loosen the muscles and avoid motions or positions that are painful.
- Stress - Most people carry their stress right across the back of their neck. Stress, in fact doesn't exactly cause anything, but it exacerbates anything and everything. Try your best to relax or take a beak from work if you are starting to get stressed. Take a couple deep breathes and smile, you'd be surprised at how much this helps.
- Work or Computer Station Set-up - If you are forced to be in an awkward position or have continued poor posture it creates misalignment and muscle strain therefore nerve pressure. Sitting on the computer for long periods of time can create bad postural habits. The nerve pressure causes pain. Move around periodically and do some neck stretches to relieve tension starting to build. Having good neck posture is important if you are sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Improper exercise or work out, maneuvers - Sometimes lifting to much weight or not using proper mechanics or posture when working out can cause a major episode of neck pain. The most common mistake I see is people pulling on their neck when doing abdominal crunches. Keep your eyes at the ceiling and focus on crunching with your abs, not your neck. It is important to have good neck posture while working out your abs.
- Putting your neck in awkward positions for extended periods - This relates to the previous 2 reasons for neck pain. Doing this creates tension - things like sleeping in awkward positions, reading with your head down, too many hours in one position at the computer, are just a few. Try to eliminate these things as much as possible.
- Lack of stretches before physical activity makes it easier to strain a muscle - Just like before you started gym class or basketball practice, you always did stretches 1st. Most seem to neglect the old stretching routine. Neck stretchs are easy and fast. It only takes second and could prevent many needless days of suffering.
Dr Matt Bellinger is a Chiropractor in Connecticut. He has written many articles on how to easily and naturally relieve pain, and has helped many patients in his Glastonbury clinic end their neck and back pain. Read more of Dr.Bellinger's article related to pain relief at Ezine Articles where he is an expert. For more information on neck pain relief and all the specifics on how you can get rid of your neck pain visit NeckPainReliefKit.com
Ezine Expert Articles
- 6 Ways to Improve your Posture
- Dr.Bellinger's Neck Pain Relief Kit
- Decreasing tension in the neck and upper back
- How to Choose the neck pillow for sleeping
- Treating Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis in the Cervical Spine Naturally