- Some of the obvious consequences include being irritable and not being able to function as well. Studies have shown that students don’t learn or perform as well as their well-rested peers.
- Obesity, Heart Disease, high blood pressure and diabetes and decreased life span
- Saey states that new studies show that a new study links sleep loss to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Not getting enough sleep night after night can cause changes in ones brain- predisposing people to mental disorders such as depression.
- A lack of sleep can also increase levels of inflammatory chemicals in one’s blood and increase hunger promoting hormones.
Stay tuned. In the next blog post I will be discussing how sleep deprivation affects our driving- and how some people are not as affected as others.
Source: Dying to Sleep by Tina Hesman Saey Science News