So, nice “C” curve in the neck equals relaxed cord. Elongating it out straight equals tension. This tension causes stress to the cord, and therefore inhibits nervous system function, which leads to neck problems. Many of us automatically think pain!, but this isn’t always the case. Neck issues or problems may mean headache, it may mean arm pain, maybe even mid-back problems. There are many unfortunate possibilities. The severity of the neck issue may depend on the amount of tension on the cord or tension on the nerves. Dr. Brieg actually won the Nobel Prize years ago because he proved how the loss of cervical curve can stretch the cord 5-7 cm and cause disease.
More specifically let's thank Swedish neurosurgeon Alf Brieg, nobel prize winner for this valuable information.
Picture Source: Erik Dalton, Freedom from Pain Institute
Additional Reading Resources
- Can Forward Head Posture Cause Pain?
- How to Use the Traction Side of the Cervical Linear Traction Neck Pillow for maximum pain relief and the better sleep
- How to Choose the Best Neck Pillow
- Vibration Massage: Relaxes the Muscles but Stimulates the Nervous System too!
- If You Have Forward Head Posture, What Other Posture Might You Have?