I always encourage my patients to exercise regularly. Well, dancing is one way to accomplish this. Dance can be a total body workout where in one hour you can burn 4000 calories. The benefits of dance are not just about shedding pounds. You can tone your muscles, improve your balance and boost your brain power. With so many choices for dance, there is bound to be one that you will enjoy. Each dance targets different muscle groups and helps you tone differently:
- Latin Dance: Targets the front and side abdominals (transverse and oblique muscles) and back muscles.
- Involves twisting, pulling, constant back and forth movement.
- Improves your core muscles therefore improving your posture and aids in preventing lower back pain.
- Jazz Dance:
- Involves movement of sharp kicks and sultry slides.
- Targets the front of the thighs.
- Improves agility and gait for better balance.
- Also tones your midsection.
- Tap Dance: This type of dance targets your calf and shin muscles.
- With all the small hops and jumps you will strengthen your bones.
- Tap also increases your range of motion and strengthens fast, twitch muscles, thus protecting you from ankle injuries.
- Ballet: Targets your hips and your feet.
- Ballet increases flexibility from head to toe
- This type of dance also helps you improve your posture and thus helps your strengthen your entire body.
- Masala Bhangra: If you haven’t seen this type of dancing, watch Slumdog Millionaire- it’s India ’s Electric Slide.
- This dance is healthy because it targets the front and back of your upper arms, shoulders, and upper back.
- It strengthens the rotator cuff muscles
Source: Prevention Magazine, April 2011.