I recently received an email from a customer inquiring about whether it is better is use no pillow,vs using a pillow.
We sleep for about 1/3 or our lives- so sleeping is important. How you sleep and the position of your head and neck is worth exploring.
With using no pillow or using a very flat pillow, you are not getting the proper support or C Curve that you need in the cervical spine. When you roll on your side, your head and neck is going to be cranked to the side, which can cause neck pain and muscle stiffness. Not to have any support is an unnatural position for your neck, and can lead to bad neck posture. So, using no pillow is not recommended.
My recommendation is to use a contoured neck pillow that gives you the neck support that is needed in the cervical spine. One example of this contoured neck pillow that is comfortable (not to firm) is the arc4life linear gravity neck pillow. Another example is the Tri Core family of neck pillows. These pillows are more dense and firmer, but will give you the proper support you need in the neck.
If you do not like to use a pillow at night, consider using a neck roll. You can simply create one yourself by rolling up a towel. Here is a video that shows you how to create your own neck roll pillow. How easy is that?
Additional Reading Resources:
- Choose the right neck pillow for proper comfort and neck support
- My Neck Pillow is too hard and too soft... How do I get is Just Right? Choosing a Pillow that you can adjust easily
- Treatment for a Typical Neck Pain Patient
- Understanding the arc4life cervical traction neck pillow
- Is there a difference between sleeping on your right or left side?