They are essential to do when working to correct forward head and neck. For the reasons mentioned previously we are constantly fighting this BAD posture an a daily basis.
How should my head posture be normally. If someone is looking at you from the side, the middle of the ear should line up with the front of the shoulder. Keep in mind that your shoulders may be rolled to far forward also. Make sure they feel like they are in a comfortable position and have someone look at you from the side. You can even have them snap a picture with their phone. I know my iPhone lets me do a "grid" which can help you see the posture too.
Some have forward head so much they don't even really have to look from the side. After awhile a hunch in the upper back may even form. Is that you??
Okay, let's talk about how to do the retraction exercise to fix posture. First, you can sit, stand, even lay on your back. Suck the chin strait back (pushing the head against the bed) if lying down. Hold for 5 or 10 seconds, relax and repeat 10 times.
Do not tilt your head, glide it back. You can use a finger to guide, pushing gently on the chin. If it causes pain, stop and consult your doctor or therapist.
Additional Reading Resources:
- The Best Exercise You Can Do For your Neck to Help Your Forward Head Posture
- I have neck pain and stiff at the end of a busy work day, what can i do?
- Things you can do for a stiff neck
- A Posture Corrector that works to make you stop slouching
- Solutions for a Pinched Nerve in the Neck
- The Queen of Neck Pillows - expert advice on choosing the right pillow for sleep