What are the key factors when it comes to getting relief from your headache pain?
- Know your surroundings. What does that mean? It means to know what’s going on around you, understand your environment. This may hint to what the cause is, and if you know the cause of your headache, you can fix it.
- Have an arsenal of headache remedies. This post may help you with that… And, be prepared! Let’s say you’re away from home on a trip and a bad headache strikes; what do you do.
An interesting fact!!
About 90% of headaches come from something going on in the neck…
Here are some steps to take to get rid of the head pain:
- Start with gentle massage of the head and neck – in a circular motion with your fingers rub your temples, move down to the back of your cheeks, and then down the back of neck. Also, massage the sub-occipital muscles with your thumbs. [Put your hands over your ears, your thumbs land automatically on the occipital region.
- Pressure points: next to eyes and bridge of the nose, between thumb and forefinger. Take your thumbs or one thumb at a time and press and hold for 10-20 seconds. Release and apply pressure again. Repeat as many times as necessary.
- Have someone traction your neck, if that opportunity isn’t usually available try a home traction unit. Stretching out the neck opens up all the neural foramen give a release a pressure to the nerves of the neck.
- If your headache is in a particular region then that may tell us something. For example, maybe it feels like it’s a cross the lower forehead. We know that we have sinuses that are located there. Have your allergies been acting up? Know your surroundings – it could be your usual allergy time of the year…
- Use a neck pillow for sleeping. Not only will this help neck alignment but it will help open up your sinuses as well.
What if you have a little more time…
- See a chiropractor or osteopath
- Close your eyes and lay down in a dark, quiet place
- Get a massage. Have them focus on the upper neck!