Watch the video, but here's some things they found about people who don't sleep enough.
1) Don't live as long - I just read about a pair of twins at 108 years old who have been smoking for 80+ years and have a regular drink too. At the university of California they discovered woman should sleep between 5 and 6.5 hours, and those who did lived the longest.
2) Get sick more - getting enough and consistent sleep keeps the immune system working well. The opposite is true however - lack of sleep hinders our immune system, leaving us more susceptible to colds.
3) More forgetful - when we lose our REM sleep we may hinder our memory.
4) Cranky - if you don't get enough rest our brains have a more difficult time with certain emotions or respond well to certain situations.
5) Weight gain - yep, if your body isn't getting enough rest or maybe too much as we've learned, things don't work right. Not only will this slow down your metabolism,since your awake more, there's more chance to eat. Research shows people who don't sleep have smaller brains (smaller, less dense) and also there is a higher incidence of high blood pressure.
- When you cannot sleep because of a pinched nerve in the neck
- A pillow for better sleep
- Sleep Deprivation and your Mind
- 6 ways to get better sleep