So you were told you have arthritis in the neck. Most likely your doctor had ordered x-rays and diagnosed it from them. Or, the radiologist, saw it and reported to your doctor.
On the x-ray it will clearly show up as jagged edges of the bones and possibly decreased disc spaces.
There are many actual types of arthritis, all differentiated by certain symptoms and types of changes on the xrays. For example there is osteoarthitis or DJD(degenerative joint disease). This is like wear and tear arthritis. Like an old car - things start to break down. It typically occurs with age and a past injured area or areas. Let's say you had an old football injury to the right knee. That area may be shifted out of alignment and breaks down faster.
Here's the thing though - They may say "When you get old this will happen", but why do some get it and others not so much. The key is the spine and pressure on nerves. If the nerves are free from pressure it is not typically very bad, if hardly at all. The body works at its best when nerves are free of pressure. Will we get some breakdown as we get older? Sure! Our bodies are designed to last well into the 140's. That old car maybe not so much but you can still see the analogy.
There can be other factors at play too. For example rheumatoid arthritis has an autoimmune component. Gouty arthritis is when uric acid crystal build up in the joints, etc.
Therefore spinal alignment plays a role but so does diet, genetics, and lifestyle. So how can we slow that arthritis down.
- Make sure your spine is in alignment - This will keep nerves free from pressure, and the body working at its best.
- Eat Right - there may be some specific things you can eat or not eat that will help either get rid symptoms or promote health.
- Avoid or perform certain activities. Some exercise may help whereas some hobbies may contribute negatively.
So try these things to improve your neck arthritis and control your neck pain.
Additional Reading Resources:
- A Pillow for Neck Arthritis
- 6 causes of neck pain that you don't always think of
- What to do for herniated disc in the neck
- The Neck Pain Relief Package- Products for pain relief
- One Way To Appear Taller and Slimmer
Image Source: Sport and Spine Rehab